Do you have a fear of flying or feel anxious during air travel? Don’t let your fear or anxiety get in the way of going on a business trip, visiting family or exploring the world. With these simple tips from Hussain al Nowais, you’ll be able to ease your anxiety and feel more comfortable traveling by plane.
- Know the truth about flying – While you have likely heard about tragedies involving aircrafts on the news, air travel is one of the safest modes of transportation and your chances of being involved in an accident are slim to none. In fact, air travel is the second safest mode of transportation, only after the elevator and escalator, according to NBC News. And, your chances of being involved in an accident are about 1 in 11 million. Just educating yourself about the facts can help you ease your concerns.
- Don’t hide it – Having a fear of flying is nothing to be embarrassed about. Tell the gate agent when you check in, the flight attendants when you board, and even the passengers seated next to you when you sit down. A gate agent may be able to seat you in the front of the cabin, and flight attendants and passengers can help you feel more comfortable and calm should you feel nervous or anxious.
- Book an aisle seat – Many airlines allow you to pick your seat when you book your flight or when you check in online for an extra fee. If you have this option, consider booking an aisle seat located in the front of the cabin. Turbulence tends to be worse at the back of the plane. And, having the freedom to get up as you please may help you feel more relaxed.
- Stay distracted – Keep your mind occupied with a good book, movie, puzzle or game. Bring yourself enough activities to last the entire flight, even if it’s work. Staying distracted will prevent yourself from thinking about your anxiety and morbid “what if” possibilities.
- Avoid caffeine – While it’s important that you stay hydrated, you want to avoid beverages that contain caffeine before and during your flight, such as coffee and soda. Caffeine can increase your anxiety.
With these tips from Hussain al Nowais, you’ll be able to ease your fear of flying and focus on enjoying the flight.